The first look of Overwatch 2 was revealed at BlizzCon in 2019 and in the Reddit AMA of 2020, Jeff Kaplan who is the vice president of blizzard talked about how he and the team wanted to explore the possibilities of a cross-platform and might work upon it the same way. Overwatch has been released on Xbox, Switch, PlayStation, and PC and thus the excitement of having a cross-over is something the fans have been looking forward to.
The onset of cross-platform games has been ever since calling of duty: warzone and Fortnite have done this and the gamers automatically expect the next new launch will be a cross-platform game. Although considering how developed Overwatch 2 is currently, the chances of it being cross-platform is less and unlikely.
- There are a lot of online games which are surfacing the internet and they are all based on different sorts of gameplay.
- Not every game survives for long and the ones that do have variety and new features getting introduced completely.
- Overwatch is one such game that has been dominating a lot of online platforms for a very long time.
- There was a buzz about the release of the highly anticipated Overwatch 2 and how it might be a cross-platform game.
- If you are a developer and decide to release one game on a lot of platforms, you surely will think of a way to connect them to increase your player base. Something similar has been in talks with Overwatch 2.
Is Overwatch 2 Cross-Platform or Have Crossplay?
The chances of Overwatch 2 being a cross-platform game is less because of the ecosystems of the game on different platforms. Overwatch on PC and console is entirely different as the PC version is for the Blizzard’s battle and while playing on console, the net launcher will populate it with the online population there. The technicalities of the previous game surely prevent it from happening but hoping for the best is what all gamers will have to ultimately do.
- Overwatch 2 is going to be entirely different from Overwatch as it will focus on PvE storylines with cinematic characters and cut scenes to lead the game further.
- There will be new characters, missions, and multiplayer mode in Overwatch 2 which has intrigued the fans a lot.
- A fun fact about this game is that whatever new features will be introduced in Overwatch 2, Overwatch will also receive them making it one huge gaming space for the players. Blizzard is trying to keep both the games alive and to make sure that Overwatch doesn’t face any serious hits, they want to expand and combine the game.
There are going to be notable changes in the games and Blizzard hasn’t officially released anything so until then these are some of the snippets the gamers need to be aware of.
- Does Knockout City Support Cross-Platform & Crossplay?
- Does Fallout 76 Support Cross-Platform?
- Does Terraria Support Cross Platform?
- Does Risk of Rain 2 Support Cross Platform?